Safely disposing of unused, unneeded medications instead of keeping them at home can prevent tragic accidents, as well as abuse and misuse. Remember to keep medicines secure at all times when following an active treatment plan.
Find "take back" events and drop off sites
- Find a drop-off site participating in the April 27 Take-back event
- Find a drop box near you
- Find local take-back events
Dispose of medication at home - Disposal bags that deactivate unused medication are available for purchase at many retail locations. Ask your pharmacist.
- Watch a short video on safe medication disposal
- Flushing is a last resort - click to see the FDA-approved list of drugs to flush
- Deterra drug deactivation method
- DisposeRx deactivation method
Safe Medication Storage - Keep medication secured in a locked pouch or box, or even in a locked drawer
- Medication storage tips from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Up and Away (CDC medication safety site)
- Lock Your Meds awareness campaign
- Downloadable medication inventory sheet - keep track of meds in your home