Addiction is a disease of the brain and it is undertreated. Medication assisted treatment (MAT) is gaining support and momentum at the national and state levels as a critical tool in the fight against opioid use disorder. MAT involves the use of specific prescription medications to ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce psychological cravings in patients with opioid use disorder. When combined with counseling and other behavioral health services, MAT has been shown to reduce illicit drug use and overdose deaths.
Practitioners must complete training and obtain a waiver from the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to provide MAT.
The resources on this page can help you learn more about getting started.
Note: if you are looking for controlled substance CME classes, click here.
General MAT Resources
- UNC Project ECHO - education, training and peer support
- Provider's Clinical Support Network - education, training, clinical resources
- SAMHSA's main MAT page
- SAMHSA's Pocket Guide to MAT of OUD
- NCMS Foundation's Project OBOT (increasing availability of office-based opioid addiction treatment)
- NCDHHS Buprenorphine Guidance
- Qualify for a physician buprenorphine waiver (SAMHSA)
- Qualify for a PA or NP buprenorphine waiver (SAMHSA)
- Apply for a buprenorphine waiver (SAMHSA)
Online MAT training opportunities
- MAHEC Project ECHO for Medication-Assisted Treatment (5-Part Live Webinar Series) Jan. 19, 2021 – Mar. 2, 2021 (up to 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for every module completed)
- MAHEC Project ECHO for Medication-Assisted Treatment (5-Part Live Webinar Series) March 16, 2021 – May 11, 2021 (up to 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for every module completed)
- Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: Waiver Qualifying - 8 Hours Online - UNC AHRQ
- Providers Clinical Support System - Online MAT waiver training (8 hours) (Expiration date: 11/30/2021))
- Providers Clinical Support System Behavioral Interventions for MAT: Improving Outcomes (AMA PRA Category 1.5 Credits™ available) (Expiration date: 7/19/2022)
- Providers Clinical Support System SUD 101 Core Curriculum - 22 online modules covering a variety of SUD topics (AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ available per module taken) (Expiration date: 07/26/2022)
Low Cost (<$100)
- Treating Pain Safer: One hour Online Course for Safe Opioid Prescribing (MAHEC) Cost: $25.00 (Expiration Date: 03/15/2021)