Addiction is a disease of the brain and it is undertreated. Medication assisted treatment (MAT) is gaining support and momentum at the national and state levels as a critical tool in the fight against opioid use disorder. MAT involves the use of specific prescription medications to ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce psychological cravings in patients with opioid use disorder. When combined with counseling and other behavioral health services, MAT has been shown to reduce illicit drug use and overdose deaths.
Practitioners must complete training, obtain a waiver from the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and register with the state Department of Health and Human Services to lawfully provide MAT to patients.
The resources on this page can help you learn more about getting started with MAT.
General MAT Resources
- UNC Project ECHO - education, training and peer support
- Provider's Clinical Support Network - education, training, clinical resources
- SAMHSA's main MAT page
- SAMHSA's Pocket Guide to MAT of OUD
- Qualify for a physician buprenorphine waiver (SAMHSA)
- Qualify for a PA or NP buprenorphine waiver (SAMHSA)
- Apply for a buprenorphine waiver (SAMHSA)
- Register as a buprenorphine prescriber with NCDHHS
Online MAT training opportunities
- Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: Waiver Qualifying - 8 Hours Online - UNC AHRQ
- Provider's Clinical Support System - Online MAT waiver training (8 hours)
In Person MAT CME Opportunities
- Medication Assisted Treatment as a Best Practice for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder - Lumberton (up to 3.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) June 21, 2019 12:30 PM - 4:45 PM Cost: Free
- Medication Assisted Treatment as a Best Practice for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder - Morrisville (up to 3.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) June 26, 2019 8:30 AM - 12:15 PM Cost: Free
Low Cost (<$100)
- Providers’ Clinical Support System: Buprenorphine Office-Based Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders, The “Half and Half” Course - MAHEC (up to 8.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) June 27, 2019 4:00 PM–8:45 PM Fee: $35.00