In response to a 2015-2016 state budget provision that calls on health care agencies to require controlled substances prescribers to complete education in opioid prescribing, NCMB successfully pursued rule changes to establish a new CME requirement. The requirement applies to physicians and physician assistants who prescribe controlled substances of any kind.
Interested in receiving updates on the prescribing CME requirement and other NCMB policy initiatives? Click the blue button below to provide your email address.
If you’d like to learn more about getting started with Medication Assisted Treatment, click here.
CME rule changes
CME information and resources
- Controlled Substances CME FAQs
- General CME FAQs
- CME logging form - licensees are NOT required to submit documentation unless requested
In Person Controlled Substances CME Opportunities
NOTE: Unless otherwise indicated, courses provide one hour of CME
Low Cost (~$100)
- Southern Pain Society 33rd Annual Meeting: Integrated Pain Care: New Perspectives - New Orleans, LA (up to 14.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) Sept. 13–Sept. 15, 2019 Cost: $100-$360
Online Controlled Substances CME Opportunities (Maintained as a courtesy; Not an exhaustive list)
- MAHEC Project ECHO for Chronic Pain (5-Part Video Teleconference Series) (1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ per module attended) Aug. 13–Oct. 8, 2019
- Duke Opioid Module #1 - Safe Opioid Prescribing (Expiration Date: 04/30/2020)
- Duke Opioid Module #2 - Recognizing and Treating Opioid Misuse and Abuse (Expiration Date: 04/30/2020)
- Duke Opioid Module #3 - Opioids and Pain Management (Expiration Date: 04/30/2020)
- SCOPE of Pain (2 hours via Boston University School of Medicine) (Expiration Date: 02/28/2020)
- Applying CDC’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids
- SAFE Opioid Prescribing: Strategies. Assessment. Fundamentals. Education. (3.5 hours - American College of Physicians) (Expiration Date: 07/15/2019)
- Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives - 2018 Update (2 hours - Medscape) (Expiration Date: 08/31/2019)
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use (Expiration Date: 02/16/2020)
- Breaking the Cycle: Opioid Epidemic - Alternatives to Opioids in Primary Care (Expiration Date: 10/09/2019)