In response to a 2015-2016 state budget provision that calls on health care agencies to require controlled substances prescribers to complete education in opioid prescribing, NCMB successfully pursued rule changes to establish a new CME requirement. The requirement applies to physicians and physician assistants who prescribe controlled substances of any kind.
Interested in receiving updates on the prescribing CME requirement and other NCMB policy initiatives? Click the blue button below to provide your email address.
CME rule changes
CME information and resources
- Controlled Substances CME FAQs
- General CME FAQs
- CME logging form - licensees are NOT required to submit documentation unless requested
In Person Controlled Substances CME Opportunities
NOTE: Unless otherwise indicated, courses provide one hour of CME
Low Cost (<$100)
- 10th Annual Coping with Cancer: Cancer Pain Management During the Opioid Epidemic (up to 5.25 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) October 27, 2018 8:30 AM–2:30 PM Cost: $25.00-$100.00.
- Treating Pain Safely: Fewer Opioids and Better Results Controlled Substances Education for Prescribers (up to 3.0 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) October 30, 2018 5:30 PM–8:45 PM Cost: $20.00-$60.00.
- Providers’ Clinical Support System: Buprenorphine Office-Based Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders, The “Half and Half” Course by Northwest AHEC, Winston Salem (up to 8 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) November 6, 2018 4:00 PM–8:45 PM Cost: $35.00-$45.00
Online Controlled Substances CME Opportunities (Maintained as a courtesy; Not an exhaustive list)
- Controlled Substance Prescribing: What Every Provider Needs to Know (NCMB-WakeAHEC developed webinar)
- SCOPE of Pain (2 hours via Boston University School of Medicine)
- SAFE Opioid Prescribing: Strategies. Assessment. Fundamentals. Education. (3.5 hours - American College of Physicians)
- Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives - 2018 Update (2 hours - Medscape
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use
- Breaking the Cycle: Opioid Epidemic - Chronic Pain and Safe Opioid Prescribing Best Practices (Charlotte AHEC)
- Breaking the Cycle: Opioid Epidemic - Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (Charlotte AHEC)
- Breaking the Cycle: Opioid Epidemic - Pain Management in the Cancer Patient (Charlotte AHEC)
- Breaking the Cycle: Opioid Epidemic - Responsible Pain Management in the Emergency Department (Charlotte AHEC)
- Breaking the Cycle: Opioid Epidemic - Considerations of Co-Morbid Mood and Anxiety in Chronic Pain (Charlotte AHEC)
- A Guide to Rational Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Pain (3 hours - Mountain AHEC/Governor's Institute on Substance Abuse)
Low Cost (<$100)
- UNC Controlled Substances CME Grand Round Series: 1. Opioids for Chronic Pain: Present, Past and Where We Go From Here (UNC Health Care)
- UNC Controlled Substances CME Grand Round Series: 2. Evaluation is Essential for Safe and Effective Pain Management Using Opioids (UNC Health Care)
- UNC Controlled Substances CME Grand Round Series: 3. The Difficult Patient (UNC Health Care)