Application for a resident training license (RTL)
Who should complete this application?
Physicians who plan to participate in a graduate medical education program or fellowship, who have passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 or COMLEX 1 and 2 within three attempts on each step. If an applicant has taken USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX 3, the examination must have been passed within 3 attempts.
Begin by clicking on the “Online Application” button at right. Applicants will be required to submit certain paper documents to supplement the online application. The NCMB only accepts applications submitted online.
NC law requires licensed physicians to renew with the Board within 30 days of their birth date, every year, no matter when the license is issued. A renewal fee is required.
Am I eligible for licensure in North Carolina?
- Application: chronological information beginning with high school, questions and applicant’s oath
- Documentation of legal name change if applicable
- Verification of all medical education including a statement that the applicant has completed requirements for the MD if the degree has not yet been granted
- Letter from NC residency program verifying appointment
- Evidence of passing ECFMG exam and completing a 5th pathway program if applicable
- Fingerprint and criminal history record check through the SBI and FBI
- Transcripts: necessary if you attended more than one medical school or attended less or more than the standard four years.
- Personal interview when indicated
Application credentials and fee are good for one year. If the applicant is not issued a license within the year and chooses to reapply, he or she will be required to resubmit all application credentials and an additional application fee. Click here to access the current license application fee schedule.