Resources & Information


What is the licensing process for Perfusionists?

The licensure process for perfusionists is:

  1. Application is submitted.
  2. Application is processed (biographical data is entered into our system & fingerprint cards are submitted to the SBI).
  3. Once the application is complete (license verifications, databank queries, SBI report, and all other requested information has been received) the application is sent to Perfusionist Advisory Committee (PAC) member for review.
  4. If the application or SBI report reveals negative information, the applicant may be asked to come for an interview with the PAC. The applicant is then placed on the vote list for the next meeting of the PAC.
  5. If approved by the PAC, the applicant’s name will then be placed on the vote list for the next meeting of the North Carolina Medical Board (NCMB) - extracted

Why does the licensing process take so long?

Sometimes we receive information from the SBI background check that wasn’t indicated on the application. When this occurs, the applicant is required to send in additional information/materials. There are also documents (such as reference forms & education certification forms) that must be submitted by other individuals and agencies.

Do I need a supervising perfusionist?

You will need a supervising perfusionist until you are certified by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion (ABCP). Without the ABCP certificate you are required to apply for a provisional perfusionist license. This license is only good for 12 months. You will be required to submit a Designation of Supervising Perfusionist form.

I have a provisional perfusionist license. How do I get a full unrestricted license?

Once you have passed the exams for certification, contact the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion and have them send us verification. You will also need to submit a written request, along with the required fee to have your provisional license converted to a full license.

How do I get my Education Certification form completed if my school/program has closed?

When a school or program closes, they usually have an agency or person that still possesses transcripts of the student who attended the program, or they are supposed to provide the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) with record retention information. Contact them at: 727-210-2350. The Committee on Accreditation may also be another source. If none of these sources have your information, you should contact the agency within your state government that oversees post-secondary education to determine what the state’s record retention policies are, including the storage of past student records.